The Gershman Y opened its doors in 1924 to serve as a cultural, educational and social meeting place for the Jewish community and its neighbors in Center City. Over the decades The Gershman Y has experienced several metamorphoses. The University of The Arts purchased the Broad and Pine building in October of 2000 and a cultural and educational union was formed – further positioning The Y as an arts, cultural and educational destination for all ages.
The Y has emerged as a regional Jewish Arts and Culture Center. Although it does not offer any athletic facilities, the Y does provide a wide selection of sophisticated programs for a discerning public. The Gershman Y continues its legacy as one of Philadelphia's dynamic arts, culture and community centers for people of all ages.